DEADLIFT – THE KING OF POWER BUILDING EXERCISESDanielCoach
In the first article of this section I will introduce you to deadlifting, as it is one of the main exercises in fitness and weight lifting. Deadlift is a multi-joint exercise, ie the movement is performed in several joints at the same time and involves many muscle groups in the body, mainly from the posterior muscle chain. We can use it to increase our strength, muscle mass and build solid back. Despite all the benefits listed so far, if you are a beginner it is advisable to be careful about the technique, because incorrect lift of the weights can lead to serious injuries. So, before step up to the big weights, make sure you perform the exercise technically correctly.
There are many variations of this exercise, but in this article we will focus on the conventional (standard) deadlift, wich will serve us as the necessary foundation on which to build up.
- Approach the bar and position your feet so that the bar is located just above the middle of your feet.
- The feet are firmly set on the entire foot, approximately the width of the shoulders, and the weight is transferred to the heels.
- From this position, we tighten the glutes and squat to the bar with our back in neutral position. The hands can grab the bar with overhand, mixed or underhand grip. If you are a beginner and haven’t performed this exercise before, I advise you to use the overhand grip.
- Then push the body slightly forward, shoulders should be just above the bar.
- Then tighten our back and make sure it’s in neutral position.
- Now exhale and imagine you push the ground with the legs as you lift the bar smoothly.
- The bar should move close to the hips and the eyes should look forward.
- After standing up, we push the hips slightly forward.
- In the final position, the body is fully erect, the bar is close to the hips, and the glutes and back are tight.
- Now lower the bar slowly down to starting position. The muscles must control the weight all the time.
A huge number of muscles are involved in the exercise, but the following groups are prioritized:
- Inner thighs